Monday, September 14, 2009

Where is the Classes Tab in Interface Builder? It has been removed.

Where is the Classes Tab in Interface Builder? It has been removed.

Interface Builder 3.1.2 does not have it. I do not know which version was the first to "not have it" but I know my version doesn't.

This can cause some confusion with tutorials, texts, books, etc., that refer to the Classes Tab.

Many examples refer you to a screen shot of IB's UI like this one:


Well, stop looking for it because it is gone.

Interface Builder 3 looks like this:


For instance, if you are creating a class that has some IBOutlet's then create that class in XCode, add the IBOutlet's that you desire. Launch Interface builder by doubling clicking your NIB file in XCode.

Select an Object from this panel:



Drag the "Object" to "Main***.xib" window, the window that has "File's Owner, First Responder, etc".

Make sure this new object is selected and from the Tools Menu open the Identity Inspector. There is a menu at the top labeled "Class". Click this and select the class that you created in XCode. The one I created I named "Controller", so I select "Controller" from the Class drop down menu.


I hope that helps clear up things for some.

No comments: