Saturday, February 02, 2008

It's okay to THINK for Yourself

I started studying the Sofware Development process in 1985. In about four years I had learned techniques in estimation and learned the name of Halstead. I had learned of something called "COCOMO" and learned the name of Boehm. I learned of Jackson System Development and found out that Michael wasn't just the king of MoTown. I learned of the SW-CMM and learned the name of Humphrey. I learned of Brooks and Parnas, of Booch and many others.

The biggest thing I did not know at the time was that all of these topics were new. I came from a Dairy farm and I had never used a computer until college. I had seen a TRaSh 80 once before but that was it. As I took my math classes, physics classes, and computer science classes I just assumed that the C.S. stuff was "old" stuff and that everyone in industry used and believed in what I was learning in school. I had no idea that the topics were leading and even bleeding edge. My first programming language was Pascal on a VAX 11-750. I did not know that in industry at that same time many projects were done completely in assembly language and that in industry it is costly and takes time to switch from assembly to Pascal, ADA, or C.

My ignorance was a blessing in disguise. Since I assumed that everything I was taught was in common use in industry I had no problem analyzing the concepts as if they were "old" and in need of replacement. I was not mesmerized by these new concepts because I didn't know they were new.

I remember in my CS 327 class I was taught about the Waterfall model. I just went down stairs and got my old text book out. "Software Engineering: A Practitioner's approach. Second Edition" Chapter one of the text taught me the "classic life cycle" of software development. The text clearly states that the waterfall model was under criticism even at that time. It says that projects rarely follow the sequential flow, that customer's had difficulty stating all requirements explicitly, and that the customer had to be very patient because a working version of the software is not available until late in the project time span. The next section introduced Prototyping.

Well, I better fast forward to the now.

Now I have years of context. I know when XP and Agile came on the scene and I viewed them in their true position for the time as being new approaches. I have watched as the current set of software development practitioners beg to be told how to develop software. I mean just what I said. BEG TO BE TOLD. I have participated heavily in many online users groups, more lightly with local users groups, and heavily within the companies where I have worked. I have watched my peers look for someone to whom they can abdicate the decision of how to make good software.

In the late 80's and early 90's the companies I worked for brought in consultants which taught Waterfall, change control boards, and formal inspections. My peers accepted those methods as the way to develop software and seem to have never revisited that problem again. Well, we have moved on in our careers and now many are Managers, Directors, VP's, and even CXO's. Most have not revisited the problem of "how to develop software". I watch the next generation of software developers rage against the old machine. They want to develop software in better ways that work with the advancements in hardware and development tools. But they do what my generation did and abdicate the decision of how to make good software to the current set of consultants. This isn't totally bad unless they make the second mistake that many of my peers made and never revisit the question again.

I watch as people look for Agile Methods. Agile recipes is what they want. Secretly I think they are looking for guarantees. They want to say, "When I find myself in situation X I can apply practice Y and that is the best that can be done." Not only that, but they want to recite the authority of the practice as well, "Beck and Jeffries have both said this is how to do it." Well there you go, we could never question Beck or Jeffries now could we! :-)

It's great to read the latest books and articles, to talk with the authors, and even hire them to teach, clarify, and expound. Ultimately you will find yourself metaphorically alone and having to make decisions. At this point you can either think for yourself or you can blindly follow your method.

By current definitions of Agile Software development I probably practiced it for about a week. I immediately made changes to suit the needs I encountered. I moved on and I am still moving on. I never have cared if I was Agile or not. That was not the problem I was faced with. The problem I am faced with everyday is how to develop software the best I can in the current situation I find myself.

Is your problem whether or not you are Agile? Or is your problem developing software? If you recognize your problem to be developing software do your recognize what is causing the difficulty? If so then you can then say, "Will Agile practices address the issues I am faced with?" Think dog gone it. Think for yourself. Think and then apply yourself to the problems you face. Agile surely has many answers for many problems in Software development. Agile surely is not the answer all of the problems. And neither is CMMI, Lean, BDD, FDD, Spiral, Prototyping, or even DBU.

I have read countless threads on Agile users groups on how do you sell your group or company on Agile. I see this and I sigh. I think, here we go again. Think for a moment. Sell your group or company on solutions to real problems that are being faced. I advise on looking for root problems! For instance, if one of the problems is that the software doesn't meet the requirements when it is shipped then maybe you should institute rigorous reviews of check-ins and have a requirements sign off check list. OR, maybe the problem would be better addressed if there were incremental releases of completed features which are accepted by those that defined the requirement. Dig for the deeper problems and solve them first! Think! Think dog gone it. THINK! Think, because either answer may be right.

I have read countless threads on software development groups on the topic of "when should you optimize software". Often the posts are just a trap and have not disclosed the entire situation accurately or completely. That is, often the poster of the question has already identified that the software doesn't perform sufficiently and they are just waiting to have an argument. But if you are serious about the question then I say again, "Think!". If you are worried about scalability and user load then do you know which technologies are scalable? Do you know about load balancing? Do you know about distributed programming, or message queues? Do you know what about cluster? Virtual severs? Grid computing? If you are familiar with these subjects then you can at least say that we should develop our system to work behind an IP load balancer. These decisions must be made as soon as possible because they will effect how you develop the software. But if you understand such things as the Facade pattern then you can put off the decision until a bit later. But you have to know about alternatives and you have to think and apply.

If you are concerned with the runtime performance of a particular algorithm or function then you have to know the answer to the question of "what is fast enough?" Once you know that then you can exercise and profile the code to see if it is fast enough. Think about this! If you have the answer for how fast it has to be before you develop the algorithm it might guide you to the correct solution the first time instead of having to write and and then hope that it meets some unknown performance requirement. Think! That's what it's about, thinking. Maybe this suggestion is right for your situation and maybe it is not. Don't accept it blindly.

I have been told that I could not do a certain thing because the "agreed" upon software methodology doesn't allow one to do that. Bull pucky. People don't allow people to do things. Methodologies are neither alive nor can they hurt or heal. If that something needs to be done, and it is the right thing to do, then the problem must be real and identifiable. If it is all of these things then surely the problem and corresponding solution can be described. If it can be described then surely your peers can recognize the need or offer alternatives. It is not sufficient to dismiss the action on the basis of "the process doesn't allow for it." Think. THINK.

Do your best, and view your peers with an eye that they are smart and thinking people and that the burden lies upon you to communicate with them. If both sides of the conversation hold these values then both will try their best to hear what the other is saying. If you feel that you are the only one with those values then try and prove yourself wrong.

Think for yourself. It doesn't matter if the author of the latest and greatest software development methodology says you should do A and not do B. If you don't need to do A then don't do it. But know you don't need A for all of real reasons. Know why some people say you should do A and show how that doesn't apply. Don't follow for following's sake and don't be a contrar-ian for contrary's sake. Think. Learn. Share.

I try to do those things. I fail at it often, but I try.

Geoff

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The men in black suits will be arriving shortly... Groupthink is the natural order... You will comply.

Anonymous said...

Shame on you for being so reasonable.

David Tchepak said...

Hi Geoff. Thanks for the great post. I must admit I've been guilty of this from time to time -- deferring to the experts to make sure I am doing things the "right" way.

If you'll excuse the shameless self promotion, I wrote a post on a related theme a little while ago

Dan said...

Hey Geoff. (Moo.)

I get the feeling from your post that you assume that "thinking" can be done. Several times it appears to me that you are commanding your readers to think. I question whether people can think. I am sure that some can, but I believe that many can not. I assert that the problem starts with the way that people are educated. Several times I've listened to a presentation given by Oliver DeMille wherein he describes the three types of education. I paraphrase what he states in his presentation by calling these three kinds of education the What to Think Education, the When to Think Education and the How to Think Education. Most of the public education system in the United States provides the What to Think Education. In general, the universities provide a professional or When to Think Education. Few people latch on to a How to Think Education and few place or people provide the environment or conditions that produce a How to Think Education. Let me briefly describe each of these types of education.

The What to Think Education tells a student the answer to give for a given question. This is typically learned through text books.

The When to Think Education tells a student what information to apply in a given situation. This is typically learned through case studies.

The How to Think Education tells a student nothing. This kind of education allows the student to explore and develope the ability to think. This kind of education comes through questioning and then seeking the answer and then questioning the answer and then repeating this process continually. This kind of education comes from exploring ideas that expand the mind and allow the student to decide what and when to study. This kind of education usually involves a mentor that is going through the same kind of process. It involves lots of reading, writing, discussing, rewriting, rediscussing and rereading. I think that it is unforutnate that more people do not pursue this kind of education.

I think that most people just get the What to Think Education and some get the When to Think Education and few reach the Who to Think Education. If this is the case, then it explains why developers come "beg[ging] to be told" WHAT to do, or why developers want to know what to do WHEN a certain situation presents itself. It is because they been conditioned to WHAT and WHEN thinking and do not know how to do HOW thinking.

Isn't it interesting how a cow and some music aid in software developement?

Moo.

-Dan

Anonymous said...

Well said. Education is critical to give you the fundamentals to apply to a given situation. You then practice applying it.

You mention the waterfall method. The waterfall or agile question is on of the great false choices in the industry in a long time. For the good agile practices have done its done a great diservice. Check out the original paper, Managing the Development of Large Software Systems, Winston Royce.

http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/spring2003/cmsc838p/Process/waterfall.pdf

It's very iterative. No one has ever actually advocated a strict waterfall model.

Talman
talmans@msn.com